Sunday, August 17, 2008

What is True Service?


Some of my acts of service lately have brought me to pondering about what truly signifies true service. Just because we do something for somebody, is it recognized as service or is there more than just the act of serving? Recently involving myself in a few acts of service the past few weeks, my thoughts were "what if my attitude really stinks while I am performing these acts? What if all I do is grumble and complain about what I have been asked to do? Does it count? Will there be blessings outnumbered?" I came to the conclusion that these acts will not be counted by the hosts of heaven. The scriptures say that we basically need to have a positive and loving attitude while serving. The scriptures say, "Inasmuch as ye do it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me". The opposite side of this is "Inasmuch as ye do not do it unto the least of these my brethren (which I interpret to be you need to have the right attitude), ye have not done it unto me." Our Savior was the purest example of service, charity, the pure love of Christ. He went on serving, and serving in his mission here on earth. Even while suffering in the Garden, his only time of "complaining" would have been, "If it be thy will take this cup from me". But, he never grumbled, he did what he was asked to do. Therefore, I found my answer and I know that if and when I serve, it needs to be performed with a loving and willing heart. Otherwise, it counts as dross.

2 comments:

Thereasa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thereasa said...

agree, there is much more to service than just the act of serving.

Now ... in some acts of service, can we feel tired? perhaps even discouraged? Often thinking we could do more? Or praying the person or persons we desire to serve would allow us to do more? And even get to a point of crying sincere, heartbroken tears? And when we feel all those feelings ... does that bring us even closer to our dear Savior? And in so doing ... reminds us of the fact that indeed there is much more to serving, than just the act.

And can we alone have the strength to serve without the strength of our Savior? He showed us the way, He said "Come Follow Me" ...

One can not truly serve without the quidance of the Holy Ghost. We must always listen to that still small voice. We must also listen when we're sometimes told it's enough.

With all my heart I wish that I could fix everything and everyone. My entire life I've had a strong desire to hold a magic wand inside my hands ... with the ability to fly ... and with my little powers ... I could be the fairy god mother in Cinderella.

A few years ago, I walked outside the Walgreens Store on the corner of 11th Street and College. There laying on the sidewalk I saw a man. I saw many people walk by him, ignoring the fact there was a man on the ground. I didn't do anything at first ... because I wanted to observe the people for a few minutes. I couldn't believe it! No one cared about this man. Then I walked up to him, and ask "Sir, are you okay?" Bless his heart, he woke and told me that he was sick. I ask him if I could take him to the hospital. But he didn't want me to do that. The man was sick, mentally sick, and who cared? And what could I do? Tell him my prayers were with him? Ask him if I could take him somewhere? Ask him if he was hungry? And listen, these are the things that make my husband very upset with me! Because he thinks someone will hurt me someday ... but ... I see someone in need, such as this man, and I want to know the whole story. What happens to a son or daughter of our loving Father in Heaven that makes them this way? And how many other sons and daughters of our loving Father in Heaven care?

Sorry I'm getting lengthy with my comment. I'm just thinking and typing.

Often times when we're serving ... we don't even consider it service. And really that's the true act of service. It should be as much a part of us as breathing is.

Thanks for this blog subject Rondi. You're a sweet lady ...

And I'll have to say that I'm thankful for this blogger site. I'm learning much more about everyone ... and I feel so much closer to you all.

Love, Thereasa


PS ... I deleted my previous comment, because I had a type o.