Sunday, October 12, 2008

Grabbing onto the Bread

Being a grandparent is so very different than being a parent. Things that would have just set us off as parents don't seem so bad when our grandchildren are the perpetrators. I learn so much, though, from all their little actions; and I know this occurs because I am more at ease as a grandma.

Today in sacrament meeting, it was Gabi's turn to take the bread. She went to grab a piece and ended up with a handful which she then put into her mouth. Kyle, Holli and I are trying not to laugh at this innocent action, an action that has caused me to ponder. As a parent many years ago with five children to watch during the sacrament, if one of my children had grasped that bread and stuffed it into their mouths, I would have been mortified. But the age of being a grandma instead gives me the opportunity to look at things in a different perspective.

As Gabi so innocently and joyfully grabbed the bread and then savored its delicious taste, I thought about another bread, the Bread of Life. Are we "grabbing" the Bread of Life and savoring its delicious taste? The Savior said that those who followed him would never hunger or thirst after righteousness. Reflecting on my own life, I am pondering upon what I am doing in my life to "grab" the gospel of Jesus Christ so that I no longer hunger. Am I reading my scriptures and really studying them or am I just reading quickly to get it done? Am I praying to my Heavenly Father in the name of Jesus Christ with real purpose and meaning as Elder Bednar taught in Conference? Am I following the Savior's example and serving others with a loving heart, or am I serving begrudgingly?

Hungering for peace in my life, I know that I need to be like Gabi and grasp onto the iron rod, the Word of God, and feast upon it finding its delicious flavor and goodness.

4 comments:

Holli said...

I like how you spun that into something spiritual.

Frankly, I was just hoping and praying that no one but us saw. And, I was also wishing Gabi would hurry up and swallow that load of bread so she would quit looking like a greedy little chipmunk with cheeks full of sacrament bread. :)

I am still flabbergasted as to why she did that... it was a first and she knows only to take one. Oh well, maybe she was hungry, maybe the bread looked especially delicious, or maybe she just wanted to give you something to blog about.

Rondi said...

I like to think that my granddaughter is so spiritually in tune that she grabbed the bread so I could write a blog. Go Gabi!

MP said...

Sometimes I "accidentally" take a handful of bread. Don't worry Goober, it happens to the best of us.

Holli said...

Marshall, you make me laugh.

And, would you update your blog, already.