Monday, September 14, 2009

Life Hurts Sometimes

Today was just one of those days. You know, when no matter what you are doing, you can't get the obstacles of life out of your mind. Maybe it was a pity day. Are we allowed to have those once in awhile? Life-why does it have to be so difficult? We live right, go to church, take good care of our children and grandchildren. So why does the road have to be so hard sometimes?

Heavenly Father with his infinite wisdom always seems to know what is on our minds and in our hearts. After running errands for a few hours, I came home and the Church News was in the mail (this is a newspaper that publishes articles about our Church). On the inside cover, there are always quotes by Thomas S. Monson, President of our Church. One quote jumped out at me entitled "Dismissing Fear". And here is what was said by our dear Prophet:

"Fear is a deadly enemy of progress. Our journey into the future will not be a smooth highway which stretches from here to eternity. Rather, there will be forks and turnings in the road, to say nothing of the unanticipated bumps. Pray daily to a loving Heavenly Father who wants you to succeed in life."

My Heavenly Father knew what I needed to hear today. As our Prophet speaks, it is the word of the Lord. And I know that my Heavenly Father was speaking to me, especially when he mentioned the "unanticipated bumps". I know He knows that my highway has a few big potholes in it right now.

OK, so I felt good about the words I read. And then tonight, I go to read my e-mail. Kim sends me out of the clear blue (she usually doesn't forward a lot of things) a quote she received in an e-mail. She must have been feeling the Spirit when she sent this:

Influences That Erode Faith
“First is doubt. . . . It comes from a lack of confidence in one’s self or abilities. It is inconsistent with our divine identity as children of God. “Doubt leads to discouragement. Discouragement comes from missed expectations. . . . Discouragement leads to distraction, a lack of focus. . . . Distraction leads to a lack of diligence, a reduced commitment to remain true and faithful and to carry on through despite hardship and disappointment. . . . This path ultimately leads to disobedience, which undermines the very basis of faith. So often the result is disbelief, the conscious or unconscious refusal to believe.” Kevin W. Pearson,

I cannot doubt what I know to be true. I need to have more confidence in myself and believe that I can handle everything that is put on my plate each day. And I know I can do this because there is someone on that highway with me each step of the way holding my hand cheering me on and telling me "You can do it". How grateful I am for my testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ, and the love and confidence He has in me. "Doubt not, fear not". How amazing that today, one article is about doubt and the other one is about fear. Yes, I know my Heavenly Father loves me despite all of my weaknesses and constant mistakes I make in my life. He is aware of my every need. And for that, I am so very, very grateful.




3 comments:

Erin said...

So happy you posted that. It's exactly what I needed today! My two biggest obstacles = doubt and fear. Thank you!

Rondi said...

Erin, I read something by an LDS author the other day. She said that one of our biggest mistakes in the church is that we are always smiling. When we see that, we tend to think "Wow, their life must be great; what happened to mine?" We are more help to each other when we share our true feelings so that we know someone else feels like we do--miserable. So, if you don't see me smiling, you know I am having a bad day even though the gospel is true.

Thereasa said...

I so enjoy reading your blogs ... they always lift me. Thanks so much Rondi.