Since last night, I couldn't get Holli's blog off my mind, the blog about the boys playing football and breaking their window. I've been thinking a lot about what causes people to act the way those boys did and also their parents. I left a comment on Holli's blog; but there is so much more I wanted to say because she sure got me riled up and my blood boiling the more I thought of what could have happened to Gabi and the disrespectful manner in which the boys treated Holli.
I had to drive to Houston today and the rain was coming down pretty hard. Actually I don't mind driving in the rain. For some reason I do more thinking while driving my car with the rain hitting the roof and windshield. Ipods--what would we do without ipods? Mine goes with me on long trips and plays at home so I can "whistle while I work". A song started playing, and immediately my mind geared into the questions Holli asked about what has happened to society. The song was "What the World Needs Now".
What the world needs now is love, sweet love
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone.
It's the only thing that there's just too little of
What the world needs now is love, sweet love,
No not just for some but for everyone.
Where has the love gone? I am thinking that the boys who broke the window are probably yearning for love in their lives. To lie as they did, for their parents to lie as they did, this makes me wonder what goes on in their homes. For kids to cuss the way those boys do, for them to lie straight to someone's face, to disrespect someone's property, and to disrespect a woman--those boys have no idea what love is.
We learn in the scriptures that "Charity is the pure love of Christ". Where were the charitable hearts yesterday? Those children have no idea what the pure love of Christ is let alone any kind of neighborly love or kindness.
Society is falling apart because parents are not at home to teach their children in word and by example that we are to love one another. And with that love comes charity. Those boys should have fessed up to what they did and then say they would fix and pay for the window. In today's world, though, everybody wants a "free lunch" and there are many who think they deserve it. Charity is an action word, at least that is how I feel about it. All of these celebrities or big money people think that charity is just giving money away and being sure that your name is spelled right in the newspaper or on the news so the whole world knows what they did. That is not charity and it is not love. What I love about someone that Holli works for is all that she does for others and nobody knows about it. That is the pure love of Christ.
Mother Teresa was the finest example of charity and love, other than our Savior Jesus Christ. She loved and cared for everybody. I wonder what would happen to those young men if they were to be taken to the poor lands of India and saw what those people are lacking. Would they cuss at them, would they think they are better than they are, or could their hearts be touched enough that they would learn through example how to give love away.
In today's world the examples for our youth and young people are found in magazines, newspapers, movies, and music. With their free time, because they are not required to work, they are filled with filth and eventually they become destructive beings especially when there is no love at home. Personally, I don't think they even know who they are. What a blessing we have in knowing that we are literal sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us, and that love is a pure love.
The world is a scary place to live in. But, the best we can do is to love one another as Christ loves us, especially in our homes. There are so many outside influences especially on our sweet little ones. To show you how quickly children can be influenced and they don't even realize it--Gabi and Braydon go to pre-school. They both are picking up the biggest country drawls you have ever heard. No one is teaching them to talk that way--they just pick it up because that is what they hear. It's no different with hearing cuss words slung out all day long, sitting watching people killing each other in movies and video games, looking at the filth in magazines--it is all settling in their brains and the love connection is gone.
Parents--love your children. Grandmas and Grandpas--love your grandchildren. For all of us, let's be the best examples we can not just to our families, but to everyone's lives we touch every day. In a way, I have a spot in my heart for those boys because they will never know how love filled their lives could be. With that said, though, I am totally ticked off at their parents for how they have raised their children and how they also lie for them. Those children will never understand choice and accountability. I guess right there I am not showing love for the parents, but I have a hard time with parents that don't care for their children. Oh, if they would only care for those boys the way our Heavenly Father takes care of us.
As I am finishing writing this, I realize how much the gospel is a part of my life. And even good Christian music--how it touches my heart and makes me want to be better. Yeah, what the world needs now (and the boys who live by Kyle and Holli) is love, sweet love. I hope and pray that someday they and many like them will know what it is like to feel loved. Their lives would be changed forever.
We learn in the scriptures that "Charity is the pure love of Christ". Where were the charitable hearts yesterday? Those children have no idea what the pure love of Christ is let alone any kind of neighborly love or kindness.
Society is falling apart because parents are not at home to teach their children in word and by example that we are to love one another. And with that love comes charity. Those boys should have fessed up to what they did and then say they would fix and pay for the window. In today's world, though, everybody wants a "free lunch" and there are many who think they deserve it. Charity is an action word, at least that is how I feel about it. All of these celebrities or big money people think that charity is just giving money away and being sure that your name is spelled right in the newspaper or on the news so the whole world knows what they did. That is not charity and it is not love. What I love about someone that Holli works for is all that she does for others and nobody knows about it. That is the pure love of Christ.
Mother Teresa was the finest example of charity and love, other than our Savior Jesus Christ. She loved and cared for everybody. I wonder what would happen to those young men if they were to be taken to the poor lands of India and saw what those people are lacking. Would they cuss at them, would they think they are better than they are, or could their hearts be touched enough that they would learn through example how to give love away.
In today's world the examples for our youth and young people are found in magazines, newspapers, movies, and music. With their free time, because they are not required to work, they are filled with filth and eventually they become destructive beings especially when there is no love at home. Personally, I don't think they even know who they are. What a blessing we have in knowing that we are literal sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us, and that love is a pure love.
The world is a scary place to live in. But, the best we can do is to love one another as Christ loves us, especially in our homes. There are so many outside influences especially on our sweet little ones. To show you how quickly children can be influenced and they don't even realize it--Gabi and Braydon go to pre-school. They both are picking up the biggest country drawls you have ever heard. No one is teaching them to talk that way--they just pick it up because that is what they hear. It's no different with hearing cuss words slung out all day long, sitting watching people killing each other in movies and video games, looking at the filth in magazines--it is all settling in their brains and the love connection is gone.
Parents--love your children. Grandmas and Grandpas--love your grandchildren. For all of us, let's be the best examples we can not just to our families, but to everyone's lives we touch every day. In a way, I have a spot in my heart for those boys because they will never know how love filled their lives could be. With that said, though, I am totally ticked off at their parents for how they have raised their children and how they also lie for them. Those children will never understand choice and accountability. I guess right there I am not showing love for the parents, but I have a hard time with parents that don't care for their children. Oh, if they would only care for those boys the way our Heavenly Father takes care of us.
As I am finishing writing this, I realize how much the gospel is a part of my life. And even good Christian music--how it touches my heart and makes me want to be better. Yeah, what the world needs now (and the boys who live by Kyle and Holli) is love, sweet love. I hope and pray that someday they and many like them will know what it is like to feel loved. Their lives would be changed forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment