Thursday, February 25, 2010

Psalm 55

Recently I have been reading one of Sister Okazaki's books (an LDS author). She has always been one of my favorites.

While reading a particular chapter, she wrote about Psalm 55 in the Old Testament. As I read it I thought, she understands. She knows how we feel.

Do you ever hear the commercials that say "How does depression feel?" In Psalm 55, the Lord writes:

"Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea:
Hear me and answer me. My thoughts trouble me and I am distraught at the voice of the enemy, at the stares of the wicked; for they bring down suffering upon me...

My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me.

I said, Oh, that I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest--I would flee far away...to my place of shelter..."

Now, I would like to see them put this on a commercial for a new drug that has come out for the healing effects of depression. But, alas, that will never happen.

Do you know it is easier to be depressed than to be happy? Those who suffer from depression would rather do as the psalm says "I would fly away and be at rest--I would flee far away...to my place of shelter..." Our place of shelter is usually under the blankets with them thrown over our heads. Some say, "Oh, say your prayers, get a priesthood blessing, make sure you are reading your scriptures." We do that, and depression still hits us; that's because it is an actual disease, not something that someone makes up. We all have sad days; depression is every day, a constant battle.

There is a promise from Heavenly Father in this psalm, but you must understand that sometimes you trust nobody. They can seem like just words on a piece of paper. Someday, though, the Spirit will come and rescue us.

"But I call to God, and the Lord saves me,
Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.
He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me, even though many oppose me."

I look for this day as do many others when we feel unharmed and protected. Please try to understand those that are truly suffering from depression. It is not made up. It is a disease. Do you have calm and soothing words to say to somebody that has cancer? The depressed need to hear those same words.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well said....and its an important issue to have out of the shadows and be able to openly discuss.

Laurie said...

I think that sometimes in the Church we feel as if we cant express our disappointment, sadness, or frustration in fear that we will be ridiculed.
I know that recently I have been going through a tough time, but im so afraid to let my true feelings show!

Rondi said...

Laurie, if you read this, please e-mail me.