When I got up yesterday, I knew exactly what I needed to get done. You see, I am one of those calendaring, list writing people. Franklin Covey, well, not exactly; but pretty close. I have my Covey planner in my purse, a calendar on the side of my refrigerator and lists on my kitchen counter. OK, I admit it. I am Obsessive Compulsive and proud of it.
Yesterday I knew I had a 3:00 appointment with Marshall Hayes for follow up with my foot and ankle. Proudly, (oh beware of pride) I packed my left shoe in a bag, made sure I had my little sock with me to put on my foot and then place my foot in that beautiful left shoe. Before leaving the house I was able to get a few things done that needed to get done in the house, dropped Braydon off at Baskin Robbins to stay with Maren, and off to the doc I go.
I knew the wait would be awhile (sorry Marshall, but I know you get behind because you love your patients and you spend much appreciated time with each one) so I brought my Sudoku book with me. The puzzle I had been working on was finished with ease. As I am working on these puzzles, Fox News is playing in the background on a TV in the waiting room. Taxes, Obama, taxes, Obama, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!! I tuned out. Started working on the next puzzle--crud, too many fours in the same row. Now, being the OCD person that I am, I erase the entire puzzle when I make a mistake. Stupid, I know, I can look up the answers in the back of the book. No, not me. I start over again.
Finally, in the middle of the puzzle I hear my name called. I am thinking, oh yes, alleluia, time to get out of the boot and into two shoes that match. No chance. The answers I gave to Marshall were the wrong answers (are you supposed to study when you go to the orthopedist?). I was supposed to say "I am feeling great, the foot is all better." Being taught to be honest in all my dealings, I told the truth. "The foot is not doing so great. It is still swollen and sore." Buzzer goes off--"Wrong answer." I am having an MRI done on Friday. As I am getting ready to leave, I looked at Marshall and asked, "Still in the boot?" His answer, "Yep, until you give me the right answers." I told him I couldn't lie because of the thirteenth article of faith (part of our Mormon beliefs) saying we believe in being honest and true.
Back in the boot, I go to Target and hobble through the store once again and get some things done that had to be done that day. By the time I got home, it was almost 6:30. I empty the car because there are no men home (they are out on the golf course, which they actually honestly do deserve) and then realize there is still one more garbage pail that needs to go out front. I let Hatcher (our dog, Marshall's dog) go with me as I have been training him to stay nearby me without a leash. He was doing so well until he noticed who knows what, a bird, a squirrel? In the background, way down the street I hear the boom boom boom of some young kid's music in their car. Hatcher goes in the street and got hit by the truck. I was shocked. That truck came out of nowhere and they didn't even stop. They just kept speeding down to the end of the street. I was upset and angry at the same time. Thank goodness Hatcher wasn't killed, but I knew his left hip or leg was hurt as he was yelping and wouldn't walk on it.
Thank goodness for Holli and Marshall. Holli calls the emergency vet, Marshall comes and gets me and Hatcher. By 9 PM we know that nothing is broken, but Hatcher has awful road burns and cuts on the inside of his leg. He is still hobbling and won't walk on it. It is so sad to watch. Hopefully, it is just the pain from the sores that is keeping him from walking on that leg. And whoever was in that truck driving, they are so lucky that there was no child or toddler in the street because right now they would be in jail. DO NOT LET YOUR KIDS IN OR NEAR THE STREET--THERE ARE PUNKS OUT THERE WHO DO NOT CARE ABOUT OBEYING THE LAW!!
Anyways, the good part of the day--without revealing who won on Dancing with the Stars in case you haven't watched it yet, my team won. YAHOO!!
My question after writing all of this is--why do I keep a calendar?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You know, there's an old saying that says, "We make plans and God laughs." In other words, depsite our best scheduling and planning, God still gets the final say-so in our lives. I have to remind myself of that fact because, I, too, am OCD about scheduling.
But, if you think about your day yesterday, there are lots of hidden blessings. You have a doctor who wouldn't risk re-injuring your leg, even if it does mean you have to spend more time in a boot. You have a husband that left that golf course as soon as he heard about Hatcher. You have a REALLY resilient dog who was able to withstand the impact of a truck driven by irresponsible teenagers. You have a great son who was able to rush Hatcher to the E.R. And, you live in an area where there are emergency vets - something many communities don't have.
Thank goodness God always includes a silver lining around every dark cloud we encounter.
Oh my goodness!! I don't know why I'm so emotional but I started crying when I read Hatcher was hit! I just keep thinking if that was Diesel, I would be a horrible wreck!
I'm so happy you have a great doctor! :) He actually knows how to help his patients heal and isn't a "cut-happy" orthopedic! I know it is a huge bummer for the boot to still be on but you're gonna get better!!!
Hang in there and give Hatcher a hug for me! You have an amazing family that takes great care of you because you have done so much for them!
Love you Aunt Rondi!
Post a Comment